[colug-432] Makefile Help

Joshua Kramer joskra42.list at gmail.com
Sun Jul 28 21:03:02 EDT 2013

Hello Colug,

Does anyone know how to test for a file's presence and set a Make variable
accordingly?

I have an apache module that needs one of two structure elements, depending
on whether it's 2.2 or 2.4.  I have the following function in my makefile:

# Test for presence of /etc/redhat-release:
which-version:  $(DEFS)
        export DEFS=-DDEF_REMOTE_IP=client_ip;
        if test -f /etc/redhat-release; then \
         echo RedhatRelease is present. ; \
         export DEFS=-DDEF_REMOTE_IP=remote_ip; \
        fi;
        echo DEFS is "$(DEFS)"

$(DEFS) is never getting set.  What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!
-JK