[colug-432] Samsung Galaxy S3 and Addressbook/Contacts sync

R S Prigan lordscotus1 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 17:57:42 EDT 2013

I looked into a simpler CardDAV/CalDAV server, *Baikal*
http://baikal-server.com/
works well in test on localhost  and on shared hosting (Dreamhost)

I used the "flat"package for Baikal, and set it up to use MYSQL
 (then I can back up data by backing up MySQL ... and perhaps even access
it in other ways
N.B. it stores vcf's in DB!)

ADDRESSBOOK / CONTACTS

Then I found for *Thunderbird* ...  !!
Inverse Sogo Connector 17.0.3 (adds CardDAV to Thunderbird addressbook)
http://www.sogo.nu/fr/downloads/frontends.html

Akonadi/KAddressBook can also connect, and
** CardDAV Sync free *Android* app **
so I can sync it with that too  ...  (the "Holy Grail" I've sought in
handhelds since Palm pilot days!!)

CALENDAR

I also found the CalDAV function of Baikal useful ... (a whole lot quicker
and reliable than remote connection to iCal file!)
I use a cheap but not quite free android app on the phone CalDAV Sync, by
the same guy who made the CardDAV Sync.  It also works great with
Thunderbird Lightning (and KDE stuff.)

NIGGLES

The only downsides with Baikal are that it cannot be set read only for some
users while being rw for me - e.g. if sharing a calendar.  (But I can
accomplish this with ical file on a web host).

Thunderbird's addressbook is also primitively limited in support for more
than 3 emails, and other things ... but apparently there is a project to
make a new TB addressbook from ground up.)

I'm still looking into a way to automate backups of AddressBook/Calendar.
I guess I'll have to rely on MySQL backups and manua backups for now.  I
found promise in carddav-util , a bucket of python scripts, but it still
has *issues*.

I really ought to post this for benefit of others ... maybe I'll get around
to it.

Scott