[colug-432] wondering about Wayland

Rob Funk rfunk at funknet.net
Sun Jun 2 20:00:21 EDT 2013

On Sunday, June 02, 2013 05:11:39 PM Rick Troth wrote:
> But do any of you know if Wayland can talk remotely?
> That's the question.

Remote display is considered orthogonal to Wayland. It can be done in
various ways (RDP, VNC, X on top of Wayland), but isn't inherent in
Wayland.
http://wayland.freedesktop.org/faq.html#heading_toc_j_8

> I'm looking for the ability of an application to be a "client" of a
> remote "display server".  It's wonderful to be able to launch, say,
> Thunderbird on one machine while the rest of my desktop (window
> mangler and all the rest) are running on another.  (Aside from the
> pain of X chattiness, that is.)  If it's not there already, I wonder
> how some of us could stick a bug in the ear of the Wayland developers.

Trust me, they have plenty of people bugging them about network
transparency. It's probably the biggest thing people bug them about. (Check
any LWN.net thread mentioning Wayland.) And the answer is always the same:
Add it on top of Wayland.

One of the things they're talking about with Wayland is to be able to run
efficient rootless X servers per-client, which would give you the sort of
thing you're talking about.
http://wayland.freedesktop.org/faq.html#heading_toc_j_4

Also remember that the Wayland developers are X developers. They're not
ignorant about the things you're talking about.

> Of course, it would be good if the "protocol" would accommodate audio
> as well as video.

Even more outside the scope of Wayland. As I recall RDP can handle audio
though.

--
Rob Funk <rfunk at funknet.net>
http://funknet.net/rfunk