[colug-432] wondering about Wayland

Rob Funk rfunk at funknet.net
Sat Jun 8 16:15:05 EDT 2013

This link just appeared on LWN.net:
  "The Wayland Situation: Facts About X vs. Wayland"
  http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=x_wayland_situation&num=1

The except that LWN.net highlighted:
"'X is Network Transparent.' Wrong. [It's] not. Core X and DRI-1 were
network transparent. No one uses either one. Shared-Memory, DRI-2 and
DRI-3000 are NOT network transparent, they do NOT work over the network.
Modern day X comes down to synchronous, poorly done VNC. If it was poorly
done, async, VNC then maybe we could make it work. But [it's] not. Xlib is
synchronous (and the movement to XCB is a slow one) which makes networking
a NIGHTMARE."

--
Rob Funk <rfunk at funknet.net>
http://funknet.net/rfunk