[colug-432] security camera, surveillance software, open source, DIY

Tom Hanlon tom at functionalmedia.com
Sun Jun 16 20:39:51 EDT 2013

Colug,

Looking for advice..

I would like to connect a camera with or without motion sensor capacity to
my linux box, so that I can have the images monitored, stored, and to
receive notification when someone comes to my door when I am not home.

The volume of theft out in the hills lately makes this a worthwhile
endeavor.

Actually the deterrent of any camera is probably the biggest benefit, but
the gadget fanatic in me wants to make the camera do a little more in
addition to frightening thieves.

I also have two dwellings on my land, one near the road where people are
likely to knock, and the other down the hill where I am likely to be.

So..
my wish list is.
Video intercom, well two way voice one way video. From one house to the
other, about 100 yards apart.

Surveillance.
Motion detection, image capture, email alert, image upload.

Bonus features.
Remote pan.

This could be one system or separate systems for intercom and surveillance.

Any thoughts ?
I see some cloud based stuff and I run a server or two so I would rather
self host, than pay.

I found a few systems out there, but wanted to see if any of us have
experience to share.

Whether I catch cute pictures of the racoons at my door, or less cute
pictures of nosy strangers,  it is all good.

Camera advice is appreciated as well.

Oh and not to open this up to a political rant.. but what got me thinking
of this was when I drove into the airport parking garage  today I saw the
camera there. I said to myself.. "it ain't right that the NSA knows I am at
the airport, and I still have yet to get a picture of the racoons that raid
my trash, or any other bandits at my house "

If only racoons where smart enough to say.. "dude, camera in use, lets hit
some other trash"

Thanks,

--
Tom