[colug-432] security camera, surveillance software, open source, DIY

Richard Hornsby richardjhornsby at gmail.com
Sun Jun 16 22:58:44 EDT 2013

On Jun 16, 2013, at 19:39 , Tom Hanlon <tom at functionalmedia.com> wrote:

> Colug,
>
> Looking for advice..
>
> I would like to connect a camera with or without motion sensor capacity to my linux box, so that I can have the images monitored, stored, and to receive notification when someone comes to my door when I am not home.
>
> The volume of theft out in the hills lately makes this a worthwhile endeavor.
>
> Actually the deterrent of any camera is probably the biggest benefit, but the gadget fanatic in me wants to make the camera do a little more in addition to frightening thieves.

Some of this may be obvious, and you may have already thought of these things.  Few of them are high-tech, and few cost much.

You may want to consider posting a "this property monitored by [choose your favorite from ebay] home security" sign.  Thieves tend to be opportunistic and choose low[er]-risk targets.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313.TR3.TRC1.A0&_nkw=home+security+sign&_sacat=0&_from=R40

The idea of a deterrent, or combination of them, is definitely better than simply relying on the cops to take your grainy footage and actually do something with it, assuming they can.  From my experience, Columbus PD yawns at pretty much everything that has already happened, if/when they finally show up.  (i.e. ~11 at night, guy (turns out ex-b/f) banging on my neighbor's door and yelling things like "open this damn door or I'm going to kick it in!" for several minutes - CPD showed up about 25-30 minutes after I called. He was gone by then.)

I would recommend looking into is shipping whatever images you capture off-site immediately.  A clear image of a license plate, or other identifying footage is useless if the thieves swipe the computer with the drive.  That may mean investing in a faster uplink speed for your internet.

Beyond the cameras, there are a few things you can do to protect your home, like motion flood lights.  They're easy to install and don't cost much.

Don't leave tools and ladders that could facilitate a break in easily accessible and laying around.  Folks tend to think a second story window is safe to leave unlocked or worse open, because there is no way to climb up - but then leave an extension ladder laying outside.  If you can't secure the ladder inside somewhere, cable lock it to something fixed like a propane tank.

Try not to leave loose objects like pipes, bricks, and mid-size stones around that could be conveniently used to smash a window.

If you have a door with glass, make sure the lock is double-keyed --- and that the key isn't left *in* the lock.  (Put the key somewhere within reach though so that the locked door doesn't become a trap in a fire).  For sliding glass doors, use a charlie bar.  If you want to take it a step further for basement and ground floor windows, there is an after-market clear laminate that you can put on the glass to make it resist shattering.  A few window companies will manufacture windows with the laminate between panes of the glass or on the inside, but IIRC there aren't many companies that do this and it is expensive.

For valuables and critical documents (passports, birth certificates, etc), get a safe that bolts to the floor.  Don't leave them out or in a random desk drawer - because now you're not just dealing with theft of property, you're at risk of a secondary crime - identity theft.  Remember, a thief doesn't have to know exactly what to take - he can empty the desk drawer and sort it out later.

Don't leave house keys under mats, fake rocks, plants etc.  Thieves know to look there.  Instead, consider a coded lock box like this

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/100653152?productId=100653152&storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_sku=100653152&cm_mmc=shopping%2d%5f%2dgoogleads%2d%5f%2dpla%2d%5f%2d100653152&ci_gpa=pla#.Ub5tFxbRerI

to store a key in for the kids, or a neighbor, or a dog walker.  I had that exact model and it takes < 2 minutes to change the code to something else for temporary access so you're not giving out your master code to the painter or whatever.  Some coded garage door openers also support a secondary "visitor" code along side the primary code.

Don't leave your car keys in your car.  Don't leave spare car keys laying around somewhere, or in a kitchen drawer.  Put them in the safe, or in a lockbox that is bolted to the wall.  Otherwise you've just provided your thief with either a) getaway vehicle or if you're driving said car at the time b) something to come back and steal later while you're home.

If an exterior door doesn't have a deadbolt, install one.  Put it up high away from the knob - say at eye level.  This makes the door harder to kick in.

Put timers on a few interior lights, especially if you're going to be away for a few days.  Many digital timers have options like "on at sunset" and randomization.

If you buy a new expensive gadget like a large screen TV, don't put the empty box out at the curb next to your normal trash.  That's a huge neon "we have a new TV, please come break in and take it!" sign for would-be thieves. Same goes for your old TV.

It may sound obvious, but all doors and windows should always be locked when no one is home.  This may take some family training, and everyone has to be consistent about it.  We like to think of thieves as stalking our houses at night because it is dark.  What happens in the middle of the day -- everyone is at work or school, including all the neighbors.  No one home, no one around to bother them.  Thieves aren't generally interested in confronting anyone - they just want to steal and get away.

> If only racoons where smart enough to say.. "dude, camera in use, lets hit some other trash"

That's definitely what you'd like to put into a would-be thief's head.  You want to keep him out and away from your house, moving on to someone else's.

In the end, if someone wants to break into your house, they're going to find a way.  The best thing that can be done then is to have an inventory for the cops and the insurance company.  There are a few software products out there (maybe even one for the iPad?) that can help with this.  You may wish to avail yourself of the second amendment to protect your home while it is occupied.  IIRC, Ohio law is castle doctrine.  That is, anyone that has entered your occupied home without permission is presumed a threat, and you are within your right to shoot them first to protect your life, or the lives of your family.  It gets a little gray, but the law in Ohio is generally that you can't shoot someone solely to protect property.  Obligatory disclaimer: IANAL.

That being side, don't go into a house that shows obvious signs of a break-in.  Call 911 and wait for the cops to come and clear the building.  Explain to the dispatcher that you arrived home to find a [door, window] smashed, and believe that a burglary may be in progress, that an intruder may still be inside.  The last thing you want is for your wife or kids to come across a thief, who may panic and do something stupid in an effort to get away.

-rick