[colug-432] What's the best way to back up a remote VPS?

Mark Aufdencamp mark at aufdencamp.com
Tue Jun 18 05:07:34 EDT 2013

I'll weigh in with a bit of a different philosophy than most.  I prefer
to backup at a more granular level then as a disk image/filespace.

1. I utilize puppet to spin up my virtual hosts.

2. I have bash scripts to provision/de-provision various services. ie.
HostingAccount, VirtualHost, MySQLDatabase, WordPressInstance,
JoomlaInstance, SVNRepositoryGroup, SVNRepository, VirtualMailDomain,
VirtualMailbox, etc..

3. I have bash scripts to backup/restore each of the defined services
datasets. (Some items such as HostingAccount and VirtualHost are pretty
much MetaData only)

4. cron'd rsync or scp to move the granular datasets from the home
server to secondary location.  This can be a redundant server instance,
disk space on my master workstation, or even a USB stick.

This provides me the ability to not only backup/restore a server
instance, but also enables the ability to easily move accounts among
servers.

Mark Aufdencamp
Mark at Aufdencamp.com