[colug-432] security camera, surveillance software, open source, DIY

FiL Farris philipfarris at gmail.com
Fri Jun 21 15:02:34 EDT 2013

A short while back I  looked into different solutions for watching inside
my house & the main doors while I was away.  I was surprised  how much
cameras & surveillance equipment had dropped in price while adding new
functionality.  The camera's I looked into were not the best by any means
but I thought a wireless PTZ (pan - tilt - zoom) camera with night vision &
2 way audio that can be controlled from anywhere (via phone or PC) for
around 100.00 was a good deal.  Complete multi camera systems (with linux
based DVR's) starting at 200 were not bad either.

As I always seem to be on a tight budget as of late I also looked into
"free" solutions.  Zone Minder is a Linux "free video camera security
application suite, designed for low cost DIY video security including
commercial or home CCTV, theft prevention and child or family member
monitoring"  that works with a lot of web cams I had lying around.  Zone
minder is the only one I can think of the top of my head but I know there
are others I looked at/tried.  Vitamin D was free (for up to X amount of
cameras)  and had pretty decent features but I believe was Windows only at
the time.

NewEgg always seems to have great deals on PTZ cams on their daily deals &
shell shockers.

FiL