[colug-432] We Are Watching You Act of 2013

tom thomas.w.cranston at gmail.com
Sun Jun 23 16:28:18 EDT 2013

Hi

Anybody aware of this? Just heard about it on the radio this morning.

http://broadcastengineering.com/regulation/we-are-watching-you-act-introduced-regulate-privacy-home.

In short, Microsoft, Verizon and others are proposing TV's, XBoxes, etc
be manufactured so that they can watch your reaction to content to
facilitate better advertising.

The act is a joint proposal by a liberal and a conservative. The
conservative wants people to be notified that they are being watched and
let the free market deal. If you don't want to be watched in the privacy
of your own home, don't buy a new TV.

I think the manufacturor's should be required to place a big obvious on
off switch on the front of the device. Better yet, just out right out
law it.

Verizon submitted a patent for the technology but has been denied so far.

Tom