[colug-432] Insight down load speed.

Chris Harting clharting at rocketmail.com
Fri Mar 22 16:39:42 EDT 2013

On Mar 21, 2013, at 4:31 PM, R S Prigan wrote:

> RCA/Thompson DCM425 (DOCSIS 1.0, 1.1, 2.0), Insight supplied
> I don't think they have 3.0 service avail yet
> 20 down, 1 up  -- while the bill still says 10MBit
>
> I've been with Insight since it came into neighborhood, and
> periodically it has increased speed.  But now they added "turbo" at
> extra $$ ... I always despised the WOW tiered rates and charge for
> "modem lease."
>
> Insight recently added a monthly "modem lease" fee, and  I was
> thinking about getting my own.
> and perhaps this is a factor to consider?  Ashiny new 3.0 might get
> *slower* speeds ...
>
> But with the TW takeover I plan to wait and see.  who knows, cable
> and internet rates will probably soar!
>
> Scott

[snip]

The TW takeover may drive prices down for a while. I just switched
from Insight to WOW. The day the WOW techs were here, I got a flyer
from Insight offering TV and High-speed Internet Bundle for roughly
the same price I was getting from WOW for basic TV and 15Mb Internet
-- but for new subscribers. Yesterday, an Insight guy stopped by with
a new flyer, offering TV/Internet for $65/mo (230 digital channels,
15Mb/s Internet).
So far, I'm happy with WOW. Speed tests regularly max at just over
15Mb down and over 1Mb up, whereas the Insight speed was always below
the advertised speed...
Seems to me that there has always been a modem lease fee on my Insight
bill.

Chris Harting
Sysadmin-at-Large
clharting at rocketmail.com
“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the
rest.” -- Mark Twain