[colug-432] WOW is hijacking my Google searches, but how?

Rob res at colnet.cmhnet.org
Wed Mar 27 18:03:00 EDT 2013

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 06:25:33PM -0500, Rick Hornsby wrote:
> If I was an ISP and wanted to do this nonsense, a web cache/proxy is exactly how I would do it.
>
> If you have an offsite ssh server, you can try tunneling your HTTP traffic (so WOW can't see it) and try to make Firefox behave the same way (Urls etc).
>
> ssh -D1080 your-remote-host
>
> Tell FF to use a SOCKS5 proxy, localhost port 1080.
>
> I used this technique years ago to thwart a jerk of a BOFH sysadmin who wasn't very bright. http://blog.flyovercountry.org/2006/10/no-more-spying

Thanks, Rick.  Yeah, I could set up a session with one of my external
VMs, but it seems every time I try something like that it boils down
to a question of whether I want to tolerate the slower speed or the
privacy intrusion.  And, it's always slower.

I called WOW this afternoon.  After talking to three people, I found
one who seemed to know what was going on.  He did something, and I
haven't seen the problem since.  Now, it will be interesting to see
if it recurs at some later point in time, but for now I have no
complaint, other than the fact that they'd have the audacity to do
such a thing in the first place.

Rob