[colug-432] Insight, TW, WOW, VoIP

Stephen P. Molnar s.molnar at sbcglobal.net
Mon May 6 17:22:17 EDT 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: colug-432-bounces at colug.net [mailto:colug-432-bounces at colug.net] On
Behalf Of Rob Stampfli
Sent: Monday, May 06, 2013 4:33 PM
To: Central OH Linux User Group - 432xx
Subject: Re: [colug-432] Insight, TW, WOW, VoIP

My setup:
+ Landline with AT&T, about $21/mo w/Call Plan 30:  Every time I about
  work up the steam to cancel it, it seems the VoIP glitches.  It is
  the number I give out, and I get about 95% of my incoming calls on
  it.  With this plan I get 30 outgoing calls/mo.  Incoming calls are
  free.  Downside:  I'm not paying for caller-id.
+ Google Voice:  I use Asterisk to interface with GV so that it appears
  as a second line to my cordless phones attached to my Linksys PAP2T.
  GV is free to North America at least through the end of the year.
  It is also somewhat glitchy.  I occasionally get dropped or lose one
  side of the conversation and have to redial.  I make almost all my
  outgoing calls on this line.  For the really important ones, I use
  AT&T.
+ voip.ms:  Charges something like a 1.25 cents per minute.  I use this
  service to play around with.  Haven't used it enough to be confident
  of its reliability, but it seems at least as solid as GV.  Free voice
  mail, callerid, 3-way, etc.  Would eventually like to port my AT&T
  number to this.
+ Cell phone: For when I'm out of the house.

YMMV,
Rob

For me, VOIP with AT&T was a DISASTER.  It kept dropping.  Fortunately, a
person who shall remain anonymous in order to protect his job, suggested
that I contact AT&T and insist that they restore my landline (at the same
cost).  That happened, and I've been satisfied (at least so far).

Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D.                                    Life is a fuzzy
set
Foundation for Chemistry                                   Stochastic and
multivariate
www.FoundationForChemistry.com
(614)312-7528 (c)
Skype:  smolnar1