[colug-432] [re]building procps

Rick Troth rmt at casita.net
Fri May 10 13:40:47 EDT 2013

Holy smoke ... that did it.  THANKS.

All releases of PROCPS that I have seen do not use the ./configure
trick (which is usually generated by 'autoconf' and friends).  So I
guess it's less surprising that it would be sensitive to some details
in the rules processor.

I often think that I should do Gentoo or LFS instead of this home-brew
hack.  But I'm closer to the source this way, and the re-build is
*really* fast when it works (and yet allows me to do one piece at a
time if needed).  I get by with a little help from my friends.

-- R; <><

On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 12:44 PM, FiL Farris <philipfarris at gmail.com> wrote:
> I may be taking care of my daily "what the $@#! is he babbling about"
> statement of the day here but what version of make are you using?  I had a
> SIMILAR problem in the past and the version of make ended up being the
> cause.
>

> On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 9:46 PM, Rick Troth <rmt at casita.net> wrote:
>>
>> Has anyone built PROCPS recently?
>>
>> On my home-brew systems, I've had trouble getting the package to
>> compile for more than a year.  At this point, I really want to get
>> some clean-room fresh builds, so I don't want to carry forward an old
>> build.
>>
>> I've tried a range of releases (of the source, for which a dozen older
>> releases are still available on the SF site for the project ... atta
>> boys well deserved).  With most of the older (3.1.x) I get linker
>> errors starting with missing "Hertz".
>>

>> --