[colug-432] Fully Featured email server

Rob Funk rfunk at funknet.net
Tue May 14 17:28:59 EDT 2013

On Monday, May 13, 2013 06:12:57 PM Mike Haun wrote:
> I am needing to build an email server that runs on Linux.  I'd like to
> have a full set of features, and most important, it has to be able to
> send and receive securely.  I like open source solutions, but this is
> not mandatory. I have not begun any research yet, but I wanted to put
> this out on the list first to see if anyone had any recommendations.

What counts as "full set of features"?

If you want to put together the pieces yourself, I recommend Postfix for
the SMTP server, and Dovecot for IMAP/POP3. If you want webmail too,
Roundcube is probably what you want, though I haven't had a chance to mess
with it yet. Oh, and Postfix Admin is a nice web interface for managing
domains and users, especially if you have multiple domains (but is still
very useful if you have just one domain).

Of course, then you'll want to add in Spamassassin and maybe ClamAV (less
necessary if you don't have Windows users). Amavisd-new can be useful to
connect those with the SMTP server, but I ended up dropping that in order
to save memory, instead connecting Postfix to proxsmtpd (to call
spamassassin's spamc) and clamsmtpd.

I think Dovecot has a "sieve" filter interface available now, but I haven't
looked into it lately.

The other major feature that people seem to want in a mail server is a
calendar, but I don't have a solution for that (other than using Google
Calendar). I don't entirely see the connection between email and calendar
anyway.

--
Rob Funk <rfunk at funknet.net>
http://funknet.net/rfunk