[colug-432] Open Source

tom thomas.w.cranston at gmail.com
Mon Oct 28 10:21:00 EDT 2013

On 10/27/2013 06:25 PM, Jeff Frontz wrote:
> Depending on who owns the software, something like this may transpire:
> http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Software_Foundation_v._Cisco_Systems
>

> On Oct 27, 2013, at 18:43, tom <thomas.w.cranston at gmail.com
> <mailto:thomas.w.cranston at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>> Let's assume I take open source code after reading it's license and
>> agreeing that any changes to it must be released as open source. I then
>> modify the code, but then tack my own private license to it. How would I
>> be punished for doing so?
>>
>> Tom
What prompted this question was the Vanity Fair article about charges
from Goldman Sachs against Sergey Aleynikov for him stealing open source
code that Goldman Sachs tacked their own ownership onto.

http://www.vanityfair.com/business/2013/09/michael-lewis-goldman-sachs-programmer

The author did not site which license applied.

Maybe an injunction could be applied to Goldman Sachs. Who's the real
thief here anyway?

Please let me know if the VF link does not work.

Tom