[colug-432] Open Source

Angelo McComis angelo at mccomis.com
Mon Oct 28 10:51:36 EDT 2013

I read this article a while back. It does seem that GS overstepped their
bounds, and did a bit of a "cry wolf" - but the timing of NSA leaks,
cybercrime, and all that, and mix in an Eastern European guy uploading
something to Germany, and -- well, people are going to overreact.

The license was not cited, but in my knowledge of OSS, you have different
variations. Some are more flexibble than others in requiring anything you
"make" using the source to be made available again. ​

The gray area becomes the case where you use an Open Source codebase and
then create a derivitave proprietary work based upon it, with no intention
of ever distributing or releasing that code. It's simply for "your own" use
("your own" here refers to GS)... and that's typically OK, except when the
original license forbids such use.  Short answer: we can't really know
without knowing the package/source programs involved and what their
licenses are/were.

-Angelo