[colug-432] processors and cores and GHz

Rick Hornsby richardjhornsby at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 20:06:20 EDT 2013

Curious if anyone can shed some light on the difference between these configurations, all other things being equal, for a system with Intel Xeon "E5" processors:

3.7GHz quad core
3.5GHz 6-core
3.0GHz 8-core
2.7GHz 12-core

These are the choices in the new MacPro (December), and I'm wondering where the lines are between the performance.  The 3.5/6-core looks to be about $900 more than the faster quad core, but I don't have price differences for the other ones.  Not necessarily looking for a recommendation on what to buy (after all, this is colug, not comac), but am definitely scratching my head looking at this list.