[colug-432] interest in a Postgres user group?: Yup

jep200404 at columbus.rr.com jep200404 at columbus.rr.com
Sat Sep 21 18:48:35 EDT 2013

On Sat, 21 Sep 2013 14:19:02 -0400, Douglas J Hunley <doug.hunley at gmail.com> wrote:

> Anyone on this list (or in your social circles) interested in a central
> ohio postgresql user group?

I am.

> My employer, EnterpriseDB, has offered to help
> fund getting one up and running.

All it takes is the willingness to find a space to host
meetings at. If they don't have a space to host at,
ask the good folks at Cover My Meds, Pillar Technology's
The Forge, libraries, or Paneras.

> ... people like Bruce or Robert ...

Momjian and Haas? For the ignorant, please elaborate on
who Bruce and Robert are and their significance.

> Anyone interested enough to show up on a regular basis? :)

+1

On Sat, 21 Sep 2013 14:50:14 -0700, "Mark Aufdencamp" <mark at aufdencamp.com> wrote:

> I've recently been delving into some GIS development.  This has meant a
> shift in emphasis from MySQL and M$ SQL to PostgreSQL with PostGIS.

Yup. For those using GeoDjango, the following link might
influence one's decision to use PostGIS (which is on top
of PostgreSQL).

    https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/ref/contrib/gis/db-api/#compatibility-tables

> Concurrently, I have lot more interest in Python and Django
> (GEODjango), ...

Come to the dojos[1] for kindred spirits.

If they are at a time and place that is
not convenient for you, set one up at a time and place that
_is_ convenient for you.

Have you found Geodjango to not be up to PostGIS's capabilities?

> You might fish for prospects within the Central Ohio Python users.  They
> seem to use Postgres a bit more than the Rails or Java folks.

Subscribe to the CohPy mailing list at the following link: