[colug-432] wanted: silent PC for ownCloud hosting

Scott Merrill skippy at skippy.net
Tue Apr 1 09:34:29 EDT 2014

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 11:39:12PM -0400, Rob Stampfli wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 30, 2014 at 03:50:41PM -0400, Scott Merrill wrote:
> > As I mentioned at last week's COLUG meeting, I currently have two
> > instances of ownCloud running: one at Digital Ocean, and one at home on
> > a PogoPlug.
> >
> > My PogoPlug is great in terms of size, power consumption, and noise.
> > Unfortunately, it sucks in terms of performance.  The single CPU in
> > there lacks the oomph to provide ownCloud with any kind of
> > responsiveness.
>
> Scott, if I may offer another angle to this, have you tried running
> a PHP bytecode cacher on your PogoPlug?  After I read your comments

I do have APC installed and enabled. The cache seems to be doing
reasonably well: 98.7% hits, 1.3% misses.  The cache memory looks pretty
fragmented, but I'm not seeing anything really alarming with respect to
APC's functionality.

ownCloud is still super sluggish.

> Download link: http://xcache.lighttpd.net/pub/Releases/3.1.0/xcache-3.1.0.tar.gz
> Official installation help: http://xcache.lighttpd.net/wiki/InstallFromSource
> (Make sure you "apt-get install php5-dev" before you begin.)

Anyone have a handy comparison of APC versus xcache?

Cheers,
Scott