[colug-432] Digital Phone?

tom thomas.w.cranston at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 16:09:58 EDT 2014

I got an inquiry from a friend who lives in Marfa TX:

"I was talking to att u-verse about why my bill is so high.

there is a bundle that is cheaper but I need to switch to digital phone,

which they provide.

do you know anybody who has switched to this?

I worry about computer and phone from the same thing because

one or the other goes down out here at times.

if the are the same when computer goes so does phone.

know anybody with digital home phone.

should I cancel my apt for installation and keep things the way they are?

I am perplexed."

I am not familiar with the term "digital phone" I believe she has a land
line. I have heard from people that have had good and terrible
experience with att u-verse. I suggested that she put off the
appointment until I can find out more.

She runs windows on a fairly new Dell. She is not at all tech savvy and
so I am not going to suggest Linux for her. I started using google voice
for long distance and have chrome browser with hangouts on an other
laptop so I can talk long distance via my laptop. That's an experiment
to see how much google infringes on my privacy. I am thinking about
suggesting google voice, or chrome browser with hangouts for her if she
knows somebody local that can help her with it.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Tom