[colug-432] splatWRT

Rick Troth rmt at casita.net
Tue Aug 12 12:38:34 EDT 2014

On 08/12/2014 09:38 AM, Scott Merrill wrote:
> I met Dave Taht at LinuxCon a couple years back, and have been casually
> following his work on BufferBloat.  He talks about CeroWRT pretty
> regularly, but I've never bothered to look at it.

Yeah ... I've been following him (and others) on G+, but Dave Taht only
recently.

> I've used OpenWRT, Tomato, and dd-wrt.  Each has strengths and weaknesses.
>
> What are the features you're looking for in a router, specifically?

I should probably check out Tomato too.

Had not previously paid attention to the firmware replacements and have
used a "real" Linux box as my router/gateway for most of the past 10 or
15 years. But now am looking for something more appliance like, and
looking to consolidate some functions for simplicity. [Scott has
discussed simplicity with me off-list several times.] For example, DHCP
is handled by a separate box ostensibly for security. But when things go
blink in the night, there are two (at least) independent systems which
need to come back to life.

Polled COLUG mostly to hear stories. Of the three you mention (Scott),
what interface do/did you use most often? web? shell? other? (possible
TUI or non-web GUI) How is performance? reliability? (both long running
and for power down/up events) Did you find or hear about any security
issues? (embedded systems is the new hot potato for both reliability and
security) Have you tried VPN on them?

Thanks.

-- R; <><