[colug-432] Recommendations for inexpensive and secure cloud storage?

Dan Kaiser dank2878 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 18:10:59 EDT 2014

[tldr: looking for recommendations and/or testimonials for cloud storage
solutions)

Hello everyone,

In the next month or so my family will be temporarily relocating to the
east coast while our two youngest children undergo intense medical
treatment for the next year or so.  We will be storing everything, renting
the house out, and living in the hospital or communal housing while there.
 This means tight living quarters and no direct access to the internet
router.

I had been trying to set up OwnCloud as my own personal Dropbox platform
for self-hosted, backed-up, storage for all of our media and more important
files, but now I will need to put that plan on hold.

Does anyone in this group use or recommend a hosted storage platform?  I
want to ensure we have access to all (or at least most) of our digital
media and other important files (read: tax and financial data, etc.) while
we are away.  I'm planning to bring along at least one 4TB external drive,
but I'd hate to rely on one spinning disk for a year without a
backup/redundancy plan.

I have 50 GB each in Dropbox and Box, but we'll need a good deal more than
that.  I thought about setting up a box running Crashplan at a family
member's house to have everything back up automatically using their
"friend" backup solution, but there are a lot of things that could go wrong
with that.

Reviews and opinions abound on the various services (Carbonite, JustCloud,
Amazon, Mozy, Back Blaze, etc.) so I'd like some input from folks on this
group if there are specific services that are highly recommended.

Cross-platform (Linux, Mac OS, Win7, iOS, Android) functionality is a must.
 Most of these services offer web interfaces, but

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dan