[colug-432] Assign Mount Points to Existing Partitions

tom thomas.w.cranston at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 21:52:45 EDT 2014

I got notice from K3B that I did not have enough space in /tmp. Using
the Disks gui I saw that I had pleanty of room in /tmp, but it was
unmounted. I then opened GParted and saw that /dev/sda5 which I
partitioned for /tmp and /dev/sda7 which I partitioned for /home was not
mounted.

Partition            File System     Mount Point Size
Used                 Unused            Flags
/dev/sda1        ext4         / 11.17 GiB
6.51                  4.67 Boot
/dev/sda2        Extended                                   687.46 GiB
     /dev/sda5    ext4 13.04 Gib             370.30 MiB          12.68 GiB
     /dev/sda6    linux-swap                                     4.19
GiB                 4.00 KiB             4.19 GiB
     /dev/sda7    ext4 670.23 GiB             141.24 GiB         528.99 GiB

This was the first time I did a manual partitioning using an extended
scheme. I had always had /tmp and /home as primary partitions before. Is
there something about using Extended Partitions that prevent /tmp and
/home from having mount points

Is there a way I can assign them mount points now?

LinuxMint 17 Cinnamon 64bit

Tom