[colug-432] Recommendations for inexpensive and secure cloud storage?

Rick Troth rmt at casita.net
Sun Aug 24 14:56:36 EDT 2014

Have been following. Have no recommendations about services, but a
couple of statements trigger some response.

On 08/19/2014 06:10 PM, Dan Kaiser wrote:
> I had been trying to set up OwnCloud as my own personal Dropbox platform
> for self-hosted, backed-up, storage for all of our media and more important
> files, but now I will need to put that plan on hold.

You have limited time before the living conditions change. Is that why
your OwnCloud is on hold?

Am wondering if you'll be able to get enough out of the other services
in the same short amount of time. (If that is the reason.)

On 08/23/2014 02:41 PM, Dan Kaiser wrote:

> I don't know exactly how much data we are talking currently. I know I
> outgrew my 3TB array and bought 2x 4TB drives and then my PowerMac G5
> "server" died.  Now I have data all over the place in various FS types
> (HFS+, ext4, FAT32, etc.)  As I mentioned before, I was hoping to
> consolidate into a single NAS running OwnCloud.  Getting everything
> consolidated into a single format and drive is my first chore.

Or is *this* what put your OwnCloud on hold? What other hardware do you
have? Anything server class?

Looking at your security concerns, OwnCloud is right up there with the
best options. Can you get a friend or family member to let you leave a
machine at their place while you're away? Even if time is short for a
full OwnCloud implementation, you could at least use it for some classes
of file storage.

When my dad out grew one of his PCs, I asked if I could take the old
one. As most of this group would expect, he was happy to let me have it.
So I installed Fedora and slapped a 1.5T SATA drive in it. Then also got
a SixXS tunnel. Now my we can reach it for off-site backups. That's not
immediate enough for some of what your needs are (Dan). But there's
really nothing stopping me from upgrading to OwnCloud on the remote box.

-- R; <><