[colug-432] Introduction and distro preference question

Brian Miller bnmille at gmail.com
Sun Feb 2 13:53:51 EST 2014

On 02/01/2014 08:47 AM, Dan Kaiser wrote:
> Thanks for all of the feedback, gentlemen. I do appreciate it.
>
> Sounds like a good idea to pick a Debian based distro at first (because
> I'm familiar) and then try many others virtually and branch out as time
> goes on.
>
> I have only used VirtualBox (VB) under OS X, but will have to do some
> playing with KVM and others if available. VB had the limitation of only
> running 32-bit systems. If I can find one that will host 64-bit systems
> I can nuke my win7 partition and only use it virtually when needed.

Virtual Box will host 64 bit systems, as long as your hardware has the
hardware virtualization extensions on it.

KVM won't work at all without those hardware extensions.

I do have a Win7 virtual system under Virtual Box on Linux.  I'm
thinking of getting rid of it, though, since the only time I ever turn
it on is to install the latest patches.