[colug-432] Introduction and distro preference question

Dan Kaiser dank2878 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 2 21:50:58 EST 2014

Rob Funk wrote: "I just recently installed 64-bit OS X on VirtualBox
running on 64-bit kUbuntu. I haven't tried it with Win7 though."

After your message I went into my initial Ubuntu install and successfully
got 64 bit Win7 running (after some BIOS tweaks.)  I guess the limitations
I had before were due to OS X or the hardware I was using.  Now I plan to
drop Linux on my mSATA and use the HDD as ext4 storage.

Brian Miller wrote: "I do have a Win7 virtual system under Virtual Box on
Linux.  I'm thinking of getting rid of it, though, since the only time I
ever turn it on is to install the latest patches."

I can believe that!  I have one program for work that is the primary reason
I've booted into my virtual XP system (and the same will likely be true for
the Win7 VM.  I don't plan to use it often, but good to have around just in
case. I don't have any other Win boxes in my house.

Joshua Kramer wrote: "In my experience, NTFS usage has been rock-solid, if
a little slow. <snip> The only caveat is, it is much better to initially
create a NTFS filesystem on Windows."

Good to know for future reference!

Now if I can get my system set-up tonight I can turn this evening into
something enjoyable.  (I grew up in Denver and am a huge Broncos fan.  What
a terrible game!)  I'm leaning toward installing Linux Mint Debian for the
rolling release schedule.

-Dan