[colug-432] Comcast and connectivity alternatives

Jeff Frontz jeff.frontz at gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 10:43:59 EST 2014

On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 8:56 AM, Rob Funk <rfunk at funknet.net> wrote:

> Are there any options for internet connections around here other than
> Time-Warner, AT&T, or (if you're lucky) WoW?

How close are you to your local CO?  Over the years, I've toyed with
forming a neighborhood "ISP" and getting a fiber pulled from our CO (less
than a mile away). At some point in time, I talked with a guy who I think
said that the cost for doing something like that would be on the order of
$20/ft -- which I think included the use of the right-of-way on the telco
poles (Is that even in the neighborhood of being correct)?  I'm not sure
there are enough geeks in my neighborhood who'd chip in to get gigabit
access...and I'm not sure I'd want to do the customer service ("have you
tried rebooting?").  But every time I have to contend with TWC, the thought
of being my own ISP crosses my mind.

Jeff