[colug-432] Comcast and connectivity alternatives

Angelo McComis angelo at mccomis.com
Fri Feb 14 11:44:03 EST 2014

>> I don't know if TW and Comcast compete in any areas, but if they do, I
hope that should be a major red flag for the merger. From what I hear about
national costs, I think we pay a lot less in Columbus for internet/cable
since most of us here have at least two options and three in some cases. And
of course the net neutrality issue is a big concern if we just have a few
giant companies controlling the internet.

Yes, they do. I can't list them, but the companies have said that they will
divest in those areas. I'm not sure what that means, or how that affects
those customers.

>> I'm lucky enough to have the option of TW, WOW and AT&T in my
neighborhood so I gave AT&T a try. So far (after one month), it's much
better service. Internet has been reliable (and faster) even in the below
zero days, DVR works (interface is better and much snappier than the 2007 TW
DVR I had), can record 3 HD shows instead of 2, and got a second box so can
watch tv in basement while exercising. Paying less for now for more channels
than I had with TW. We'll see what kind of deal I can get in a year when
discounts run out. I hear good things about WOW so if price goes up too
much, I may try them. Given I have three options, TW was usually willing to
reduce their price (although the last few years not as much) so we'll see
what AT&T does.

That's great. Having a choice is such freedom.  I've never lived in an area
that was serviced by someone other than a single provider.

Angelo