[colug-432] Android and IMAP weirdness

Rick Hornsby richardjhornsby at gmail.com
Sun Feb 23 15:56:17 EST 2014

> On Feb 22, 2014, at 22:48, Stephen Potter <spp at unixsa.net> wrote:
>
> I've got a strange problem that recently cropped up, hope someone has a
> good idea.
>
> I have my Android phone getting mail from my home server through IMAP.
> This has worked correctly for several years.  I recently replaced my
> router and now I can't get my INBOX on my phone.  I can get other mail
> folders without issue, but my INBOX never refreshes properly.  I believe
> the only port I had open on my old router was 143 (I've also got 25 and
> 110 open, just to be sure).
>
> On the mail server (Linux), I get an error whenever IMAP tries to
> connect:  Connection closed: Connection reset by peer bytes=580/47779
>
> Anyone able to help me figure out exactly what's happening?

Is your phone the only client with an issue?  It seems odd that everything except your inbox works - since that is layer 7, which your router should simply pass through.

Does your phone's IMAP client behave properly on your LAN?

You might try using a shell with telnet or netcat to connect to port 143 through your router.  Grab the IMAP RFC or another doc that has the IMAP commands, so that you can manually emulate an IMAP client.  This is way easier with POP3, but it can be done with IMAP as well.

On a related note, I definitely concur with the other suggestion to switch to imaps for security reasons.