[colug-432] Soliciting January meeting ideas

Rick Hornsby richardjhornsby at gmail.com
Sat Jan 4 17:54:52 EST 2014

> On Dec 26, 2013, at 13:46, Scott Merrill <skippy at skippy.net> wrote:
>
> Happy Holidays!
>
> I’d like to solicit a few volunteers to present at the January COLUG meeting. Any takers?
>
> It’s been a while since we’ve had introductory-level content. I wonder if it might be good to reach out to newer Linux users with some newbie-friendly material?  Any junior Linux admins on the list willing to share questions they’d like to see answered?

While I can't present anything, this is a great idea.  In addition to the scripting mentioned, there are some other topics that I find new Linux admins (and developers who aren't Linux admins) tend to get themselves in trouble with, or ask me questions about often.  Some examples:

(The links below are what I provide & use for reference material, not necessarily a sole source of truth)
- basic file system layout, ie what is /var for, and why would I create a separate filesystem for it? http://www.pathname.com/fhs/
- what is the difference between CPU % and load average? http://blog.scoutapp.com/articles/2009/07/31/understanding-load-averages
- rotating logs using logrotate
- proper use of cron, including /etc/cron.daily, etc and not setting up your own root user cron jobs to run logrotate (it already runs daily)