[colug-432] Wireless Networking: can I force remove a "hard block"?

Joshua Kramer joskra42.list at gmail.com
Sun Jan 5 13:24:02 EST 2014

Hello Everyone,

I have an older Acer Aspire netbook that has a peculiar problem.  At some
point - it could be as long as 8 hours or as short as 15 minutes - the
wireless network drivers develop a hard-block condition and disable the
wireless networking until after I reboot.

If there is a lot of I/O - it could be network or disk I/O - it happens
sooner.

When this occurs, the network statistics widget I have running indicates a
tx/rx rate of 4GB/sec.

If I use an external wireless adapter, then the system still flakes out and
shows 4GB/sec transfer after a time period... but the adapter is still
operational.  At least it's operational for about 24 hours before it flakes
out.

This is either due to hardware flaking out, OR something changed in RHEL 5
to cause this condition.  (It started at some point when I was running
CentOS 5.)  Has anyone seen this before?

-JK