[colug-432] Greetings

Rick Troth rmt at casita.net
Fri Jan 10 16:47:26 EST 2014

On 01/10/2014 04:19 PM, Don wrote:
> Name is Don.  Joined the COLUG mailing list in December.  Have been
> reading the mailings and clearly it feels like the conversation is
> over my head since I am just a Linux user, but dumped Windows years
> ago and just have enjoyed disto-hopping and learning what I can.  This
> list feels composed of IT professionals and Sys Admin types, so hope I
> am not out of place.

Welcome!

Many of us *are* IT professionals, but the group is *not* exclusive.
Many of us are also hobbyists. (If we're both at the same time, that can
be a blessing and a curse.)

> My current setup is Manjaro Linux with the XFCE environment.  I added
> Gnome Shell on top of that using command line, and it seems to be
> working just fine.  I had some issues getting rid of the MDM that came
> with the system when I tried to add Gnome's Display Manager, but
> deleted it and added the Gnome system and was faced with a command
> prompt instead of the GUI.  The Majaro WIKI helped me find the command
> to activate the Gnome GUI environment.

I'm unfamiliar with Manjaro, but fond of XFCE. I use GNOME most of the
time ... mostly because it was there already.

If you plan to experiment then I recommend you learn as much command
line and "text mode" as you can. Makes recovery a lot easier.

> Am retired and just enjoying what I can learn.  Hope I have entered
> this list correctly.  Would like to attend the Linux convention this
> year for the first time.

Great! Ohio Linux Fest is a growing phenomenon.

-- Rick Troth, Grove City; <><