[colug-432] Determine Resource Usage

Jeff Stebelton jeff.stebelton at gmail.com
Sat Jan 25 12:34:16 EST 2014

I'm running Lubuntu on a IBM Thinkpad, P4 with 512 Mb of RAM. Runs very
well for Internet browsing, word processing, playing music and even doing
some YouTube streaming at lower resolutions. My daughter uses it for
schoolwork on the Time4Learning web site using Chrome.

On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 5:12 PM, tom <thomas.w.cranston at gmail.com> wrote:

>  On 01/24/2014 02:27 PM, Dan Kaiser wrote:
>
>  How old is the laptop (i.e. what are the specs?)
>
> Don't Know. P4 500MB RAM. Was running XP PRO on 6GB HDD. Now has 60 GB
> HDD. RAM will be increased to 1 GB.
>
>  I've recently offered to install Linux on a friend's ailing laptop from
> 2005ish.  I was going to target a smaller/minimal distro, most likely
> Crunchbang, but I'm interested in hearing what you find if you compare LM13
> vs. LM16.
>
>  In answer to your initial question, I typically search for minimum and
> recommended specs for distros to see if my old hardware is up to snuff.
> This is a frequently asked question on many Linux formums.  Here is a
> recent article <http://www.maketecheasier.com/distros-for-old-computers/>listing some of the better distros for older and/or low power machines.
>
> -Dan
>
> "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a
> habit." - Aristotle
>

> On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 2:38 PM, Don <donohio53 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Great point Eric.  Lots of people out there don't want to deal with the 6
>> months upgrade cycle and so a long term support edition might work better
>> for them.  In terms of resources, I thought each web site gave an
>> indication of what resources would be needed for each distro.  Imagine a
>> Google search would offer some suggestions too.
>>
>>  I am trying to not be on the 6 months cycle by trying out Manjaro
>> Linux.  Pretty user friendly and they are a rolling release and my two
>> upgrades so far have been successful with no glitches.
>>
>>  I also like that in my Gnome 3.10 I found under the Gnome Tweaks
>> setting a way to add a weather indicator to my panel and linked it to the
>> Bolton Field weather station.  Working fine.   Since I can't thank Gnome
>> directly, or could not find a way, thanks to the minds that created that
>> tweak feature to make improvements and they grow into their Gnome 3 vision.
>>
>>  Don Baun
>>

>> On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 1:22 PM, Eric Floehr <eric at intellovations.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Note that the other difference between Linux Mint 13 and 16 besides
>>> resource use is that 13 will be supported until April 2017[1] while 16 will
>>> only be supported until July of this year.
>>>
>>>  Don't know how long they will be using the laptop, or how much
>>> upgrading they will want or need to do, but possibly a consideration.
>>>

>>>  [1] http://www.linuxmint.com/oldreleases.php

Jeff Stebelton GCIA GCIH GPPA GWAPT CEH SFCP