[colug-432] Targeting Open Source

Rick Troth rmt at casita.net
Thu Jul 3 16:45:28 EDT 2014

On 07/03/2014 04:09 PM, tom wrote:
> Recently, it was revealed that the IRS using the same keyword
> profiling system used against so called "tea party" groups, is also
> targeting free software projects calling themselves "open source".
>
> http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/07/irs-policy-that-targeted-tea-party-groups-also-aimed-at-open-source-projects/
>
> At the same time, it was revealed that the NSA has targeted readers
> of the "Linux Journal" a long time respected Linux periodical calling
> them "extremists".
>
> http://daserste.ndr.de/panorama/aktuell/nsa230_page-1.html

Related, today I heard a snippet from someone I follow in G+ that seems
relevant here:

    "In the US and EU today you probably can't create another Linux like
    event, big interests would swat it like a fly." -- Alan Cox

He meant it in context of DMCA and big bizzniss, but it struck me that
Linux happened in the green field of the early internet, where hobbyists
and volunteers and academics abounded. Even though it was funded by
DARPA (later NSF and others) the goals were purely science and
engineering. Whether corporate or political/military, the lust twins of
greed and power serve to trash the playground. [sigh]

-- R; <><