[colug-432] Fwd: University District E-Waste Recycling Event - August 2nd

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 21:21:52 EDT 2014

On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 7:33 PM, Angelo McComis <angelo at mccomis.com> wrote:
> This is why people dispose improperly.  It becomes a question of:
>
> Why spend $600 when I can find a construction dumpster at dark?

I suspect it's a problem for people who don't know how to math properly.

I know what the announcement says, but what the charge *probably* is,
is $2 per *diagonal* inch.  $30 for A 15" CRT, etc., but since the
writer has seen "square inch" in their lives, they used the phrase
albeit incorrectly.

I could be wrong on this, in which case, $600 is an insane amount to demand.

When I volunteered at Free Geek a few years back, CRT disposal fees
around town ran about $1/diagonal inch or flat rates like $10 and $15
(since few large computer CRTs were being dropped off... now, people
have a lot of 25" and 37" CRT taking up space).

-ethan