[colug-432] Computer Programmer Productivity Ratio

Rick Troth rmt at casita.net
Mon Jul 21 15:20:15 EDT 2014

First, 07/19/2014 07:40 PM, Jim (P) wrote:
> A recent talk with someone revealed that they were incredulous
> about there being an order of magnitude difference in
> productivity between good and mediocre programmers.

We've blurred productivity and competence. But as I'm insecure about
both, that blur is the norm for me.

> How do you improve your ability?

If you find a _proven method, I very much want to practice_ it.

And then, 07/20/2014 11:50 PM, Jon wrote:
> Practice, practice, practice. As they say, "Practice makes perfect", right?
>
> ... it all boils down to spending time in your
> craft and simply getting better at it.

And maybe that's the best method we've found thus far.

Next, 07/21/2014 07:10 AM, Jim (W) wrote:
> As part of my work with Red Hat, I interact with the sys admins at many
> companies.  I am no longer shocked at how many do not understand the
> basic productivity enhancement tools available to them like
>
> shell history
> screen
> commands like watch
> in place shell programming (basic for loops, etc)
>
> It's not hard to be better than most when the bar is set so low.

In place shell programming:
I cannot estimate the number of times I've done  'for V in ... ; do ...
done'  nor count the years it has been a habit.

The need for productivity is huge. The gap in competence is widening.
But I have been on the other side of the glass. Awkward when you're
graded on things you've never learned (for legit reasons). Painful when
you're expected to be proficient at things you're not skilled in (and
presumably weren't hired for). See other email.

We gotta gently bring these people Jim speaks of into the fold. Tricky.
They don't know what they don't know.

-- R; <><