[colug-432] the /etc test

Jeff Frontz jeff.frontz at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 12:25:52 EDT 2014

I suspect google would have a hard time hiring anyone if their candidates
took that approach (i.e., "that's a BS question; let's get back to dealing
with reality")-- their entire interview process seems  (or seemed) to be
geared around asking for solutions to vague open-ended problems and/or for
solutions to brain-teasers (I'll not forget spending quite some time trying
to figure out the probability of which way ants would walk along the edges
of a triangle or how many times it would take to drop an egg before
determining the maximum height limit for an egg-drop-protection scheme or
answering a question like "explain how the telephone works").

My thought was that organizations who primarily hire folks with no
appreciable industry experience have to spend a lot more time probing how
someone thinks about the hypothetical/theoretical.  But organizations that
are hiring experienced folks can spend more time delving into
experiences/background (and checking references).

Jeff