[colug-432] the /etc test

Tim Randles tim.randles at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 12:52:52 EDT 2014

I was discussing this thread with a coworker just now and shared with him
my thoughts on google's interview process.  I don't like it as a general
example of useful interview practices.

In my experience I find that asking questions that probe the boundaries of
the expected level of knowledge for the position is much more useful than
asking abstract questions.  In a couple cases it's allowed us to hire
someone into a different position than the one for which they were
interviewing.  It also allows the interviewee to give their best shot at
answering and empowers them to admit when they don't know something.
 Asking an abstract question that may or may not have an actual solution
often leaves the interviewee struggling to formulate any answer.  It can
cause their confidence to plummet and that does not help me evaluate their
true abilities.  I want the interviewee to have full command of their
faculties.

I do have the luxury of full-day interviews for candidates that make it
past the phone interview.  Personality evaluations are made during lunch
and a half-hour "coffee with the team" session.