[colug-432] CMH TW providing residential ipv6

Rick Hornsby richardjhornsby at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 00:45:52 EDT 2014

> On Jun 23, 2014, at 14:58, R P Herrold <herrold at owlriver.com> wrote:
>

> when one switches to a third party (Motorola 6121) cable modem
> [1].  I bought mine through NewEgg, moved the coax cable to
> the new unit, called TW TS and gave them the new MAC address,
> rebooted, and that's about it
>
> in this block:
>    2605:a000:110f:807e:xxxx:xxx:xxxx:xxxx
>
> I will be experimenting, but it appears that my Apple Airport
> Extreme also knows how to act as an IPv6 router for the
> upstream, and to hand out assignments in the correct ipv6
> delegated fashion, as well as the regular ipv4 DHCP
>
> I failed to note the netblock delegation size, and will be
> experimenting -- persistence also comes to mind.  There are
> some RFC's as to privacy and ipv6 out there as well

Definitely interested to find out what you come up with.  Google fiber does IPv6, but most of the residential IPv6 docs I can find assume your ISP is v4 only, and you're going to use a tunnel broker like HE.

I know very little about v6, and even less about how to configure a router/firewall like pfsense to use v6.  Sometimes feels like trying to learn the interwebs all over again.

Maybe with more residential ISPs like TW making a move, it will start to show the writing on the wall and convince big giant corp like the one I work for that the answer to running out of IPv4 space does not mean more (re)using private, and poaching public, v4 netblocks for internal address space.

I'm told part of the problem is that our clients (hospitals mostly) have flat out said no way to IPv6.