[colug-432] Comcast and connectivity alternatives

Robert Grimm robertgrimm at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 09:56:22 EST 2014

There is what appears to be a Cat-5 cable that goes to a box that has a
RJ-11 and an RJ-45. That is the only RJ-11 jack in my house. All the wiring
from the pole to the gateway and TV are new. There is no old wiring for
them to blame. I've had other people tell me they have exactly the same
problems I'm having with U-verse recently and they were close to the node
too. It makes me think that AT&T can't handle sustained data transfers at a
consistent speed.

At this point, it doesn't really matter if they get it working well. I
don't like the gateway and none of the other options are any better. It
isn't configurable enough for me. I've been thinking about putting in a
caching web proxy and trying to figure out how to get a forward error
correction gateway on my network. None of AT&T's gateways are configurable
enough to let me decide what default gateway address the DHCP server hands
out. I can't even decide what DNS servers it uses.

Robert Grimm
Voice only: (614) 212-4625
http://www.datablitz.net
http://www.grimmphotography.com