[colug-432] Install and Manually Partition Debian

George Larson george.g.larson at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 18:53:35 EDT 2014

On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 5:58 PM, tom <thomas.w.cranston at gmail.com> wrote:
> How advanced does one need to be to Install and manually partition
> Debian?
I think manually a drive when I think of Arch, Slackware and maybe
Gentoo?  Definitely don't think that you need to do such things
manually for Debian but, like anything else, it's only daunting until
you've read a bit.  If you've a drive free and clear that you can use
then there shouldn't be anything scary about it at all.  If you're
trying to carve out space on an existing system (and assuming it's
Windows) then Wubi might be something to consider.

>Does one need to know how to write their own /etc/fstab?
Uhm...  You probably will not need to write your own fstab.  May I ask
what you're planning to do?

>What other skills does one need to have?
See above.  If you just want to use GNU/Linux, I don't think you need
any of the mentioned skills.

Why do you want to write your own fstab?

--
-= c0d3 :: j0rg3 - all code, no cruft =-