[colug-432] Swap science, was: Install and Manually Partition Debian

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Sun Mar 16 17:20:22 EDT 2014

On Sat, 15 Mar 2014, Rob Funk wrote:

> I don't know what Debian's default is these days, but I
> generally recommend a big swap combined with /tmp

Why as to a large swap?  In the former times a swap 2X
physical ram 'ruled the roost'.  More recent lore is 'if
you are into swap', you are paying a high price for r/w
speeds onto spining rust

We have been testing SAN, and adding an invisible cache layer
of SSD 'just makes sense', save that TANSTAAFL, and that layer
is not free ;)  Seagate also offers a drive with 64G of front
end SSD, in front of the spinning platters.  I ordered a
clutch of these today, for production on an NFS (and
managed iscsi / LVM) server.  I'll be pulling numbers off to
see how this affects compile times (I save stats on all
builds, and will be able to see if / how it helps/ hurts,
from some log reduction)

A lot of computer science is invalidating caches well, and the
'self learning' tactic which the Seagate device implies may
work well in my Linux environment, or it may fail
conspicuously.  We'll see ...

Last week, I was asked swap sizing strategy, but did and do
not know of a CURRENT and evidence based 'general answer' --
with VM's from the Hypervisor perspective, we KNOW from
statistics reduction, that our choke point is drive RW, and so
avoiding swap just makes sense.  VM's would pay that penalty
as well

The rule, from the times of the Medes and the Persians, is:
'If you cannot put numbers on it, one is being offered an
opinion, and not science'

Does anyone have some recent 'science' as to swap sizing
considerations?

-- Russ herrold