[colug-432] ZFS

Rick Troth rmt at casita.net
Sun Mar 16 21:23:21 EDT 2014

On 03/14/2014 10:55 PM, George Larson wrote:
> Uh-oh!! I'm a ZFS guy.

ZFS is a layering violation.

> Now we must fight to the death!  :P

En garde!

ZFS blurs the line between volume management and filesystem. If that
fits your goals, no problem.

EVMS similarly blurred the line between volume management and multi-path
I/O. EVMS is long gone. I don't expect ZFS to suffer the same fate, nor
do I wish it. I do wish that we could retain modularity.

ZFS does have a big advantage that is momentarily free from certain
abominations done in the name of security.

-- R; <><