[colug-432] LVM

Rick Troth rmt at casita.net
Sun Mar 16 20:27:52 EDT 2014

On 03/14/2014 10:36 PM, Rick Hornsby wrote:
>> > Four partitions? I'd guess all primary partitions.
> Honestly, I wouldn’t do that.  Use LVM for everything except /boot and swap.  LVM is far more flexible than straight-up direct-on-disk filesystems, and easier to manage over time.

I'll second the recommendation of LVM. Taking it further: I use LVM for
everything except /boot. (And /boot gets its own space because most boot
loaders don't grok LVM, but also sometimes for security.)

> It isn’t that many more steps than fdisk, and once you get the hang of it, easier to understand.   ...

It does everything one could want from any partitioning tool, and more.

Seems to be not widely known that one can stamp "whole disk" as a PV
rather than just a partition. For example, I bought a pair of 1.5T disks
for some matching content. What I did was 'pvcreate' and 'vgcreate'
against /dev/sdb rather than /dev/sdb1. Doesn't save any appreciable
amount of storage, but removes one layer of "stuff". Works.

-- R; <><