[colug-432] wanted: silent PC for ownCloud hosting

Scott Merrill skippy at skippy.net
Sun Mar 30 15:50:41 EDT 2014

As I mentioned at last week's COLUG meeting, I currently have two
instances of ownCloud running: one at Digital Ocean, and one at home on
a PogoPlug.

The Digital Ocean instance works great, but it still means that all my
data is "out there" in the cloud, which rather undermines one of the
major benefits of ownCloud.

My PogoPlug is great in terms of size, power consumption, and noise.
Unfortunately, it sucks in terms of performance.  The single CPU in
there lacks the oomph to provide ownCloud with any kind of
responsiveness.

It's been ages since I've built my own PC, let alone looked at hardware
in any meaningful way.  What options exist today for silent computing
without breaking the bank?

I don't need a powerhouse machine.  Size and noise are my two main
priorities, with power consumption being third.  Something I can attach
to my UPS and forget about is ideal. Ideally SSD for storage, and
something that doesn't require fans, if that's at all possible.

Cheers,
Scott