[colug-432] wanted: silent PC for ownCloud hosting

Roberto C. Sánchez roberto at connexer.com
Sun Mar 30 16:01:30 EDT 2014

On Sun, Mar 30, 2014 at 03:50:41PM -0400, Scott Merrill wrote:

> I don't need a powerhouse machine.  Size and noise are my two main
> priorities, with power consumption being third.  Something I can attach
> to my UPS and forget about is ideal. Ideally SSD for storage, and
> something that doesn't require fans, if that's at all possible.

I am not sure what your definition of "silent" is, but I just bought an
HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 last month from NewEgg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16859108028

It replaced a 10 year old small form factor PC.  The new machine is not
completely silent (it has a case fan, and I used spinning hard disks),
but is a fair bit quieter than the machine it replaced and is also
quieter than my main workstation.

The funny thing is that the negative reviews on NewEgg tend to revolve
around the excessive noise, but I disagree with those reviews.

In any event, the form factor is very nice, it sits right next to my
desk, and has more than ample processor and memory to act as a
gateway/router, VPN server, backup MX, backup webserver, Kerberos/LDAP
server, and a couple of other odds and ends for my small network.

It will take any SATA3 drive, so you could definitely go SSD.  The price
of the server keeps fluctuating between $400 and $450.  I got mine for
$400, but I'm not sure I'd be as excited about it for $450.

In any event, your mileage may vary.

Regards,

-Roberto

--