[colug-432] Digital Phone?

Aaron Howard archanoid at gmail.com
Thu May 1 10:18:54 EDT 2014

On May 1, 2014 9:12 AM, "Stephen P. Molnar" <s.molnar at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> A brief addition...

Thought I'd share my experience. I used to have Vonage years ago. Never had
a problem with it. But in my continuing pursuit of savings I decided to
drop them a while back. I toyed around with Google voice and several VoIP
services. Eventually I purchased a linksys PAP2T (see
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000Q7PDW2) and switched to callcentric (see
http://www.callcentric.com) for $5.95/mo for unlimited inbound calls. We
use our cell phones for outbound. I just couldn't get the Mrs to let the
"land line" go.

I think the call quality is fine. Never had a problem with it. Much like
the oola device, I can take my PAP2 anywhere and plug it into any Internet
connection and get dial tone. (not that I want to.)

Also, I have roadrunner and my own cable modem. The modem, my router,
switch, and the PAP2 are all plugged into an apc ups. If my power goes out,
so long as TWC isn't having an outage, I still have a phone line and
network/wifi/internet connectivity.

This setup works great, IMHO. Now I just need to lower my cell phone bill.

-Aaron