[colug-432] Digital Phone?

Stephen Potter spp at unixsa.net
Thu May 1 12:51:36 EDT 2014

On 5/1/2014 11:24 AM, Aaron Howard wrote:
> It's not critical because the APC allows me to survive short duration
> power outages but I like the idea of surviving long duration power
> outages.

How long, and how often?  I ask because you need to think of the
cost/benefit ratio.  In my neighborhood, we suffer approximately two
"long duration" (over an hour) a year - during the summer we can have
brownouts weekly, but they generally last a few minutes at most.  The
only time we've ever been out of power for more than several hours was
the ice storm of 2006(?) where we were out for 48 hours or so.  I can
live with my stuff being down for a couple of hours and don't see any
particular reason to spend multiple thousands of dollars on a system.

-spp