[colug-432] IPv6 adventures

Rob Funk rfunk at funknet.net
Mon Aug 31 09:40:29 EDT 2015

Apparently it takes me two COLUG talks on IPv6 to actually get it
going. After the last IPv6 talk (last year?), I started looking into
preparing my machines for IPv6, including trying to get an address
assigned from Time-Warner. But at that time I didn't bother setting up
a tunnel - I want native! And I couldn't get things working at that
time.

But after Rick's talk last week, I finally got a SixXS tunnel... and
proceeded to make it redundant by getting addresses from Time-Warner.
(OpenWRT 14.07 trick: add a wan6 interface to /etc/config/network,
pointing to the same eth interface as "wan". OpenWRT warning: don't
try to connect wan6 to its own firewall.) After adding wan6 to the
OpenWRT router, I was surprised to see that suddenly my internal home
machines had IPv6 addresses -- and relieved that OpenWRT's firewall
was still protecting them. Then I went ahead and got IPv6 going on my
Linode VPS. (nginx was a bit of a pain, and logcheck needed some
pattern updates, but I think the only real snag is fail2ban.)

One thing is starting to concern me though: My home machines seem to
be slowly accumulating more global-scope IPv6 addresses on the network
that Time-Warner assigned. They started with two (one based on the MAC
address and one seemingly random), but now they have four and five
addresses.

Anyone know what's up with that? Something weird with dhcp6?