[colug-432] IPv6 adventures

Rick Troth rmt at casita.net
Mon Aug 31 09:56:55 EDT 2015

On 08/31/2015 09:40 AM, Rob Funk wrote:
> One thing is starting to concern me though: My home machines seem to
> be slowly accumulating more global-scope IPv6 addresses on the network
> that Time-Warner assigned. They started with two (one based on the MAC
> address and one seemingly random), but now they have four and five
> addresses.

I wish I had an answer for this.
I've seen the same thing and had the same concern.

> Anyone know what's up with that? Something weird with dhcp6?

I don't think it's DHCP per se.
CeroWRT (and presumably OpenWRT with the same LuCI interface and
backing) has "AHCP". There's a tab for that under the Network tab. The
comment reads ...

        AHCP is an autoconfiguration protocol for IPv6 and
        dual-stack IPv6/IPv4 networks designed to be used
        in place of router discovery and DHCP on networks
        where it is difficult or impossible to configure
        a server within every link-layer broadcast domain,
        for example mobile ad-hoc networks."

But I haven't dug into AHCP further. Fell back to static/manual IPv6
addresses and routes. (tunnel mostly, except for a few dynamic clients)

-- R; <><